Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What we take for granted...




Just a note tonight as I think of how festive folks around the office were today. I know, just St. Patty's Day but nonetheless another time-honored tradition of sporting some shade of green to avoid the little pinch!

No matter how large or small our traditions, holidays or customs here in the United States, we are lucky (no pun intended)! We are able to freely celebrate and express our views in this country. We have servicemen overseas and all over the world who have intentionally left this freedom behind in order to defend it, protect it, share a little of it with others...

Although my work has taken me to the Middle East, I was able to return home in a matter of a week or so. I do not consider myself to be part of this elite group of folks. We have deployed servicemen and servicewomen who are on missions lasting 6 months to a year in war zones, in areas of the world where they are not able to walk down the street freely and sleep at night in flack vests just to be prepared for what the enemy might have in store. Many return for multiple tours of duty.

I am so proud to provide support to our Armed Forces. I do not like war, actually I cannot stand it however I, like most, LOVE my freedom. Political views are just that. The bottom line for me is that we have our brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, aunts, uncles, daughters, sons, cousins, neighbors, husbands, wives fighting 24/7 in places over 6,000 miles away on foreign soil, living in unbelievable conditions and we MUST support them through our prayers, thoughts and love, whether we agree with war or not.

My last point is this, when our soldiers and civilians return home, continue the support. Understand that these folks have seen things that nobody should ever have to see and they need time to adjust and get back to living here in the states. They are coming back sometimes to uncertain conditions be it relationships, employment, family, they need time and support to adjust. I urge anyone that has a family member or friend returning from the Middle East, be supportive, offer an ear to listen, pay attention to their behaviors and if they do not seem to be getting back into life, talk with them and get the help they need. I know personally that the Department of the Army has numerous resources to help.

Please remember those that are sacrificing their lives so that we may continue to live as we do.

God Bless our Troops, Military Civilians and Civilian Contractors serving in the Global War on Terrorism, bring them home soon and safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment